It's week #21 of my 2018 challenge to try one new whole-food plant-based (WFPB) recipe each week. I tried this cucumber Greek salad. My family was getting together for Memorial Day weekend. The temperature was HOT (in the 90s and humid), and I wanted to prepare something light, fresh, and cool.
The inspiration for this dish comes from this recipe that I found at belleofthekitchen.com. I made some alterations based on personal taste preferences and to keep it WFPB (omitted the feta cheese, significantly decreased the olive oil, decreased the dried oregano, added a bit of salt and a bit of blue agave syrup).
The result was simple, fresh-tasting, and delicious. Perfect for a summer get-together.
What I like about this recipe (besides the fact that it's healthy):
- Simple to make.
- A nice combination of flavors.
- Keeps well in the refrigerator.
What I ended up using/doing:
- 2 English cucumbers, chopped
- 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- About 1/4 of a large red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, sliced
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice + zest from about half of the lemon
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (This can be omitted if you want to keep it oil-free.)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp blue agave syrup or honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the vegetables in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix well.
This post was originally published on May 27, 2018.