It's week #9 of my 2018 challenge to try one new whole-food plant-based (WFPB) recipe each week. This recipe comes from the Forks Over Knives website. You can get the recipe, and many more healthy recipe ideas, at forksoverknives.com.
If you haven't seen the documentary Forks Over Knives yet, I highly recommend it. It's available on Netflix. You can see the trailer here.
What I like about this recipe (besides the fact that it's healthy):
- I love fresh dill, and I used an entire container of it in this recipe.
- It's a great way to use broccoli and cauliflower stalks.
- It's a warm, comforting dish.
What I ended up using/doing:
You'll want to check out the original recipe because there is a nice video. I basically doubled the recipe and used:
- A 5-lb bag of potatoes diced (I used Yukon Gold.)
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 bags (12-oz) of frozen corn (Note: The original recipe uses fresh ears of corn.)
- 1 package (16-oz) of baby carrots, diced
- 6 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 chopped red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups diced broccoli and cauliflower stalks, outer fibrous parts removed and discarded
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp dry thyme
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 small container (3/4 oz) fresh dill, chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
You basically add all ingredients (except the fresh dill, which is added at the end) to a large stock pot. Cook on the stove until the potatoes and veggies are tender. Remove 2 cups of the soup (or more if you like thicker soup), and puree in a blender. Return the pureed soup to the pot. Add the fresh dill. Stir to mix well, and enjoy!
This post was originally published on March 1, 2018.