It's week #27 of my 2018 challenge to try one new whole-food plant-based (WFPB) recipe each week. I was looking for ways to use fresh dill from my garden and came up with this recipe (which is a combination of a few others I had tried before).
If you like the taste of fresh dill, and if you want a creamy dressing that does not contain sour cream or mayonnaise, give this one a try!
What I like about this recipe (besides the fact that it's healthy):
- Fresh dill, lemon, and garlic give it a delicious flavor.
- It's a great way to use fresh dill from the garden.
- It's versatile - tasty on salads, sandwiches, and drizzled over main dishes.
What I ended up using/doing:
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, placed in hot water then left to soak for at least 2 hours (at room temp), then drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (can omit if you prefer oil-free, but may need to add a bit more water)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped dill, plus 1 additional tsp (to be added at the end)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Combine all ingredients (except 1 tsp of the fresh chopped dill) in a high-speed blender.
- Blend ingredients on high until mixture is creamy. (Test it by rubbing a small amount of dressing between your fingers. If you can feel cashew particles, it needs to blend longer.)
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Add the tsp of fresh chopped dill (more if you'd like) and stir well.
Note: This dressing will thicken a bit in the refrigerator. If you prefer a dressing that is thinner (and easier to pour), you can stir in 1 tsp of water at a time until you reach the consistency you like. This dressing will keep in the fridge for about 1 week.
This post was originally published on July 7, 2018.