I believe a healthy breakfast is important. However, I'm not usually hungry first thing in the morning.
I think it's wise to listen to your body and eat when you are truly hungry (not out of boredom, habit, etc.).
I leave for work a little after 7 AM. So on work days I don't eat breakfast at home. I like to grab something quick that I can enjoy later in the morning.
This is my favorite work breakfast at the moment because it is:
- Satisfying - warm, delicious, and really "sticks to your ribs"!
Steel Cut Oats with Bananas and Almond Butter
1. Before heading to work, I grab:
- 1/3 cup of dry steel cut oats (quick-cooking) poured into a microwave-safe bowl with a lid (You can also use regular "old fashioned" oats.)
- One ripe banana
- A jar of almond butter
I included a cup of water in the picture, which is about how much I use to later prepare the oats. But I don't bring a measuring cup to work. (You can eyeball it, making it the consistency you like. Note: The almond butter will thicken it.) I also don't get fancy with a towel or placemat at work. :)
2. When I'm ready to eat, I add water to the oats and cook for about 1.5 minutes on high in the microwave. (Cooking time will vary by microwave. I keep an eye on it, making sure to remove the bowl before it boils over.)
3. After the oats are cooked, I add one banana (cut up) and about 1 tbsp of almond butter.
4. Stir it all up, add any other toppings you like (I like to add walnuts if I have some), and voila! You have a healthy, hearty breakfast in no time at all. No need to sweeten it with sugar or honey. The ripe banana does a fabulous job on its own!
Be prepared for coworkers to ask, "What are you eating? It smells so good!" And be prepared for a light lunch (maybe some fresh vegetables with hummus) after this filling breakfast!
I hope this breakfast fuels a productive day for you!
This post was originally published on November 28, 2017.