I recently read that January 26th is National Green Juice Day. This day was founded by the company Evolution Fresh last year to encourage people to take "small sips" (small, simple choices) toward a healthier way of life. It falls between the third and fourth week in January, when many people admit they have broken their New Year's resolutions.
In honor of this "national day" (that I just learned about), I thought I would share one of my favorite green drink recipes!
I don't have a juicer, but I love my blender and use it regularly to make smoothies. Smoothies are a great way to:
- Easily and efficiently get your recommended servings of fruits and vegetables
- Get the good stuff early, to fuel a productive day
- Use frozen fruits and veggies (a convenient and economical option)
- Use up extra produce in your fridge
- Get your kids eating more fruits and veggies
The Mango & Fresh Greens Smoothie Recipe
I love this recipe because it is:
- Simple - I'm all about simple.
- Healthy - 3 servings of vegetables/fruit in one refreshing drink!
- Delicious - Not quite margarita good, but good, and much better for you than a margarita. (Hopefully nobody's having margaritas for breakfast. :)
- Kid-friendly - My 5 year-old and 6 year-old slurp it through a straw with no issues.
- 1 package (5 ounces) of salad greens (I used a mix of spring greens and baby spinach for this one, but you can use whatever you prefer or have on hand.)
- 1 package (10 ounces) of frozen mango chunks.
- 1 regular cucumber or 1/2 of an English cucumber
- Water (Add to achieve desired consistency -- more for a liquid consistency, less for a thicker consistency.)
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- Splash of lemon or lime juice
- Throw all ingredients into the blender.
This recipe makes two large smoothies, each containing two servings of fresh vegetables and one serving of fruit. The chia seeds add additional protein, fiber, omega 3's, and antioxidants. Each smoothie is only 150 calories with chia seeds, 90 calories without the seeds. I like to pair it with a handful of almonds, cashews, and/or pistachios for a nutritious breakfast to start the day off right.
Enjoy, and Happy Green Juice Day! :)
This post was originally published on January 26, 2017.